I posted a GF coffee cake recipe a while back, so now for a regular one for the rest of y’all. This is very good, very simple, and pretty cheap to make. Whip this up one morning for a fun breakfast to have with your coffee. Yes, I know, cake for breakfast. . . but it is COFFEE cake, so it’s justifiable right?? 🙂
Original recipe from Allrecipes.com
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, room temp.
1/2 cup milk
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 Large apple thinly sliced
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Beat soft butter and sugar with wooden spoon or hand mixer until well mixed.
- Add egg and milk.
- Combine dry ingredients and stir in with wooden spoon.
- Spread into greased and floured 9×9 pan.
- Put thinly sliced apples on top of cake. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup brown sugar mixed with 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon.
- Bake at 350F for about 30 min.
If you don’t have an apple, or would prefer a basic topping, just mix 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional). Decrease the baking time to about 25 min or until toothpick comes out with moist crumbs on it.
I let mine cool for about 10 min and then turned it out of the pan. It is so pretty with the apples on it.